Awards & Accreditation
Our awards and accreditations reflect our commitment to delivering quality care to all our patients
Reflecting Our Commitment to Safety and Quality
Winchester Hospital is proud to be honored for its outstanding care and pursuit of higher standards of excellence, both for the patients we serve and the people who care for them.
Our Award-Winning Care
For more than a century, Winchester Hospital has been providing award-winning care to patients in communities north of Boston. We also take great pride in our staff and their accomplishments inside and outside Winchester Hospital. Here are some of the many national and local accolades we have received for our high-quality care and nursing excellence, and as a top employer.
- Winchester Hospital was the first community hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition (2003) and has now received the designation four times. The recognition reflects Winchester’s commitment to nursing excellence.
- Since 2014, the hospital has received an “A” rating for Hospital Safety Grade from The Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that aims to improve care by evaluating quality and safety data.
- In 2023, U.S. News & World Report ranked Winchester Hospital as “high performing” in 1 adult specialty and 7 procedures and conditions: Geriatrics, Heart Failure, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Kidney Failure, Hip and Knee Replacement, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Pneumonia.
- In 2021, Winchester Hospital achieved the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation, demonstrating its excellence in care for breastfeeding mothers and their babies. In 2022, the MA DPH recognized Winchester Hospital with the Breastfeeding Achievement Award.
- The 2021 Guardian of Excellence Award from Press Ganey was given to the hospital’s ambulatory surgery center for the third consecutive year and to outpatient services consisting of radiology, breast care, as well as physical and occupational therapy. This award recognizes hospitals for being in the 95th percentile or above for patient experience for one year.
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has awarded Winchester Hospital 5 STARS for “Overall Hospital Quality” since 2021.
- The hospital has been designated a Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) hospital in recognition of its commitment to meeting the needs of older adults and their loved ones.
- The hospital has been fully approved as a Comprehensive Center for bariatric surgery through the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), a joint program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
Our accreditations organizationally and in many specific clinical areas are a reflection of our ongoing commitment to excellence. Most of these designations are pursued on a voluntary basis, which is further testament to our dedication to providing the highest standards of medical care.
Winchester Hospital is accredited by these organizations:
- The Joint Commission
- American Association of Blood Banks
- College of American Pathologists
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute
- American College of Radiology
- Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories
- American College of Surgeons:
- Commission on Cancer
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- American Nurses Credentialing Center Magnet Recognition Program
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program
- Clinical Lab Improvement Act Certification
- Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society
- The American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography
- Department of Public Health designated Primary Stroke Service